A Brief Outline
The Conference of Rectors and Principals of Quebec Universities (CREPUQ) is a private organization comprising, on a voluntary basis, Quebec’s 18 universities.
Founded in 1963, CREPUQ was incorporated in 1967 as a non-profit corporation and it has had a permanent secretariat since January 1968. Annual membership fees constitute the majority of its budget.
CREPUQ has a special relationship with the government for all questions concerning university life.
It also maintains close ties with various funding organizations and professional associations.
To accomplish its mandate, CREPUQ carries out the following roles:
A Forum for Dialogue and the Exchange of Ideas
CREPUQ is a permanent forum for dialogue and the exchange of ideas where administrators can share their experiences in order to improve the overall efficiency of Quebec’s higher education system. This dialogue promotes the harmonization of policies and procedures in many different areas.
A Coordinator and Administrator of Services
CREPUQ manages information systems and cost-effective services for the universities. It also develops collective work tools of which a few examples are given below.
- Evaluation of proposals for new programmes by its Programmes Proposals Evaluation Commission (CEP)
- Audits of the periodic evaluation of current academic programmes by its Programme Evaluation Review Commission (CVEP)
- Coordination of student exchange programmes under the terms of agreements with numerous universities in the United States, Mexico and Latin America, Europe, Iceland, Japan, the People’s Republic of China, and Australia
- Control mechanism for multiple acceptances into undergraduate programmes
- Electronic transmission of college transcripts to universities, within the context of the admissions process
- Administration and monitoring, for universities with faculties of medicine, of government policy concerning admissions to post-doctoral programmes in medicine
- Administration of the agreement to transfer credits that permits a student registered at one university (home university) to take a course at another university (host university) that cannot be taken at the home university
- Negotiation and administration of agreements on joint acquisition of various products, in particular documents in electronic form or access licenses for such products, with a view to concerted development of university library collections
- Negotiation and administration of the agreement with COPIBEC concerning the reproduction of literary works, for teaching purposes, in universities
- Administration of the agreement on library borrowing privileges at universities in Quebec and Ontario and issuance of referral cards
Information systems that CREPUQ manages within the framework of a protocol with the ministère de l’Éducation (Department of Education):
- for university admissions
- for university personnel
Collective Work Tools
- A standard set of conservation rules for university documents
- A beginner’s guide to surfing the Internet (GIRI)
- A machine-language-coded compilation of current subscriptions to periodicals (ARUQ)
- Group access to Statistics Canada data via the Data Liberation Initiative (SHERLOCK)
Overseen by a Board of Directors comprised of the heads of the universities, CREPUQ relies on its standing committees and subcommittees to carry out the mandates entrusted to it.
These committees bring together senior administrators responsible for the major sectors of university activities.
A staff of some 20 employees share the tasks related to CREPUQ’s activities: organization and follow-up of meetings, and the management of services.
Some of CREPUQ’s Regular Publications
- Caractéristiques et rémunération des professeurs de carrière des universités québécoises - Rapport de l’Enquête sur le personnel enseignant
- Reports from the Programme Evaluation Review Commission on the periodic evaluation of current academic programmes offered by Quebec universities
- Admission statistics for the Fall and Spring semesters
- Statistics regarding participation in CREPUQ’s student exchange programmes
- General statistics on Quebec university libraries
- Table des programmes de maîtrise et de doctorat offerts dans les établissements universitaires du Québec